Rats are well documented for spreading diseases, much of this is possible because of their ability to hold many infectious bacteria’s in their blood.
Their constant and persistent gnawing can also cause a great deal of damage to a property.
Indications of a rat problem
The typical evidence to look for in your home and garden are:
- Scratching – noises in walls, under the floor or under decking as vermin scurry around looking for food.
- Faeces – they leave dark, tapered (sausage shaped) droppings about 1 – 2cm long.
- Distinctive smell – rodents leave an ammonia-like smell that will be particularly strong in enclosed areas such as under cupboards, in loft spaces, garages, sheds or under decking.
- Damage – they have teeth that grow continuously and gnaw on wood, plastic and even mild steel to keep them trim. Rats can even cause fires by chewing through cables and wiring.
- Ripped food packaging – they will tear open all types of packaging to find food which may leave teeth marks.
- Nests – built in warm, hidden places using shredded material such as newspaper, plastic and fabrics. Nests will often contain young.
- Burrows – in gardens, especially in compost heaps or under sheds. They will also build nests under garden decking.
For more details contact our friendly team at Wee Critters today.