Fleas Pest Control
Rid your home of fleas with the help of Wee Critters Pest Control
Fleas are a common problem in homes especially for those with cats or dogs. They are also frequently found when moving into a home that previously had pets.
While fleas can transmit disease, in this country it is very rare. Instead, the primary concern is the distress that flea bites cause to people and pets.
There are many species of flea, but most are 2-3mm long and red or brown in colour.
Adult fleas pierce the skin of mammals or birds to feed on blood. However, flea larvae feed on organic matter in carpets or bedding and so high levels of hygiene can slow the life-cycle.
Flea cocoons can remain dormant for two years or more and are awoken by the vibration of footsteps. It is very common for a flea infestation to remain dormant in an empty home but to awaken when people move in.
How to get rid of Fleas
If you have pets, it is essential to prevent fleas becoming established in carpets and bedding:
- Vacuum carpets, furnishings, cracks in floors and upholstered furniture, any where pets sleep to remove fleas and eggs. Use the strongest suction that will not damage the fabric. Take care emptying the vacuum cleaner as fleas will still be alive.
- Shake or beat rugs and pet bedding outdoors so that fleas and eggs fall off.
- Wash pet bedding every week, ideally at above 50°C to kill fleas.
- Take care when transferring bedding, rugs, etc, to avoid spreading flea eggs.
- Consider placing pet beds in areas without carpets such as on wooden floors.
For more details contact our friendly team at Wee Critters today.